Climate Research Analyst
Rhodium Group is recruiting a research analyst to develop and use Climate Impact Lab climate data processing tools and contribute to the production and dissemination of climate change research. The position will be located in Seattle, Washington or Oakland, California.
Rhodium Group is looking for an entrepreneurial and versatile climate researcher with strong programming and data science skills and a desire to learn. You’ll be an integral part of the Climate Impact Lab, an unprecedented collaboration of experts—economists, climate scientists, and computational scientists—from some of the nation’s leading institutions. We at the Climate Impact Lab aim to revolutionize the way global decision-makers think about the costs and risks of climate change.
- Produce python diagnostic tools to do quality assurance on climate data sets
- Evaluate existing and/or develop novel statistical downscaling, bias correction, and pattern scaling techniques for use in impacts assessment
- Develop python code to perform statistical downscaling, bias correction, and pattern scaling of climate model output
- Work with hundred-terabyte data sets using high-performance and distributed computing systems
- Publish papers on climate data science techniques and Climate Impact Lab research in collaboration with Rhodium staff and the Lab
- Help communicate research findings to decision-makers in the public and private sectors
- Master’s degree with research or work experience, or Ph.D. in climate science, atmospheric science, climate modeling, or related field
- Understanding of core climate science topics and experience with statistics
- Research experience using historical and/or global climate model data
- Experience with python data science tools (pandas, xarray, dask preferred)
- Organized and self-directed
- Strong communication skills & ability to collaborate in a multi-disciplinary environment
- Experience working with advanced climate data techniques preferred, such as pattern scaling, statistical downscaling, bias correction, data assimilation
- Experience with high-performance and/or distributed computing systems (SLURM, AWS-EC2) a plus
Compensation, Benefits And Recruiting Process
Rhodium Group offers competitive compensation, a progressive benefits package, and opportunities for intellectual and professional advancement while working with a talented and entrepreneurial group of colleagues. Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Climate Research Analyst. Additionally, please indicate your availability for an initial phone interview, salary requirements, available start date and preferred job site location.
Rhodium Group is a leading independent research provider. We combine economic data analytics and policy insight to help clients understand global trends. Rhodium’s Energy & Climate team analyzes the market impact of energy and climate policy and the economic risks of global climate change. This interdisciplinary team includes policy experts, economic analysts, energy modelers, data engineers and climate scientists. Our research supports decision-makers in the public, financial services, corporate, philanthropic and non-profit sectors.