Communications Manager, China
Rhodium Group is recruiting a Communications Manager to expand the reach of the firm’s independent policy and economic research. This position will focus on our China practice and research on China’s economy and global footprint. The preferred location is in Rhodium’s offices in Washington, DC or New York, but it is also open to remote work in one of the following states: AZ, CA, CO, MA, NY, NC, TX, UT, VA, and WA.
Rhodium Group is looking for a creative and talented Communications Manager to join our world-class team of economists, policy analysts, researchers, and data scientists. Rhodium produces path-breaking research and analysis on a range of critical global topics for decision-makers in the public, private, and philanthropic sectors, and relies on clear and compelling communication and strategic outreach to amplify this work. The Communications Manager will primarily support our China practice, working closely with research staff to elevate our analysis and insights into China’s economy, policy dynamics, and interactions with other major economies. This is a great opportunity for someone with an interest in these topics and excellent writing, editing, and communications skills, to join a dynamic, fast-growing company researching issues at the heart of the international policy debate. This position will also support the China practice’s collaborations with external research partners, as well as company-wide communications.
The Communications Manager will help drive outreach strategy, media relations, and editing and publication management for the China practice’s research. The person in this role will also be primarily responsible for managing China-related content on Rhodium’s websites, social media accounts, email newsletters, and other digital outreach channels. The role will work with the Rhodium communications team on other company-wide communications functions, including brand management and strategy, style guides and standards, tracking communications metrics, design, and staff coaching and support.
- Develop and implement outreach strategy for the China practice’s research, including media outreach and drafting media pitches, and developing social campaigns
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with key reporters and other external communications partners
- Contribute to the review process of Rhodium’s China research outputs, which include reports, notes, presentations, data visualizations, and interactive dashboards. Help distill research into shorter insights for different public audiences. Provide support with writing, editing, design, and layout.
- Curate China-related content for the Rhodium Group website and the websites of our other research collaborations. Ensure content is up-to-date, polished, relevant, and search-friendly. Support improvements to the functioning and user experience of the websites, in coordination with a web developer.
- Manage China-related content for Rhodium’s social media accounts and the accounts of our other research collaborations, primarily on Twitter and LinkedIn. Develop social content for new research and events and incorporate it into outreach plans. Help grow our social audiences.
- Lead the compilation and timely delivery of regular email newsletters and help grow our number of subscribers.
- Track communications metrics, including press mentions and citations, social media, newsletter, and web traffic growth, and other metrics. Inform overall communications monitoring & evaluation.
- Work with the rest of the communications team on company-wide communications functions, including brand management and strategy, brand style guides and publication standards, impact and development content, and other projects.
- Provide communications-skills trainings and ongoing support and coaching to staff.
- Support other external and internal communications functions as needed.
Attractive candidates will have the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of experience in the field of communications, preferably with other think tanks or research organizations.
- A strong interest in issues related to China’s economy, policy dynamics and global footprint, and preferably with academic and/or professional experience.
- Exceptional writing skills and a sharp eye for editing. Ability to curate content for a variety of formats (briefs, website and social content, media pitches) and to present complex concepts in digestible ways to different audiences.
- Excellent attention to detail and a strong sense of editorial judgment.
- Experience working with reporters and managing media outreach campaigns.
- Experience with managing company Twitter accounts and other social accounts and creating social and newsletter campaigns for projects. Experience with Mailchimp a plus.
- Experience with graphic design and web design. Data visualization skills and experience with data visualization tools are a plus.
- Organized and self-directed, able to prioritize tasks, resourcefully pursue solutions, and juggle multiple projects. Ability to anticipate deadlines and developments, plan ahead, and manage a content calendar with inputs from multiple teams.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, especially relationship management and the ability to work diplomatically as part of a multidimensional team.
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office apps and the Adobe Creative Suite.
- Experience with WordPress, Google Analytics, and search engine optimization. Experience with other content management systems a plus.
- Proficiency in Chinese and/or European languages a plus.
Location and Travel Requirements
- The preferred location for this role is in Rhodium’s offices in either Washington, DC, or New York. It is also open to remote work in one of the following states: AZ, CA, CO, MA, NY, NC, TX, UT, VA, and WA.
- The role may require a small number of virtual meetings outside of regular working hours, to accommodate colleagues in other time zones.
- Occasional domestic travel (<5%).
Compensation, Benefits and Recruiting Process
Rhodium Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to fostering an environment that promotes Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
Rhodium Group offers competitive compensation, a progressive benefits package, and opportunities for intellectual and professional advancement while working with a talented and entrepreneurial group of colleagues.
To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter that explains why you are interested in this role and how your skills and experience are a good fit, as well as a writing sample of 2-3 pages.Click here to apply