Data Scientist – China Data Services
Rhodium Group is recruiting a Data Scientist to join the company’s China Data Services team. Preferred location is Rhodium’s Paris office.
Rhodium Group is looking for a Data Scientist to join our world-class team of economists, policy analysts and technical experts.
Rhodium’s China Data Services team develops innovative data solutions that support public and private sector clients with managing risks and opportunities related to China’s economic development and global market impact. Among other products, the team maintains the most comprehensive dataset on China’s global investments and provides a data solution for global investors to manage risks associated with Chinese security issuers.
As a Data Scientist at Rhodium, you will be at the forefront of building and analyzing proprietary datasets, shaping both our influential public policy research as well as our private sector work. Your expertise will drive the expansion of advanced data solutions and their application for problem solving within and outside our organization.
The ideal candidate should have relevant technical skills, strong problem solving and conceptual thinking abilities, experience with independently managing projects, and ability to handle complex, multidisciplinary data challenges in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial setting.
- Collaborate with researchers and product teams to design and optimize data-driven features across all teams of Rhodium’s China Practice. The Data Scientist will utilize advanced statistical methods and machine learning techniques to analyze complex data and provide insights that shape policy and commercial decisions.
- Co-lead the further development of our proprietary datasets that illuminate China’s global investment and other economic linkages. You will analyze datasets from diverse sources, including government, finance, and social sectors; find creative solutions to building additional data pipelines; and collaborate with other data scientists and analysts to develop AI-driven solutions that automate data integration and other complex processes.
- Handle and analyze complex and unstructured datasets to uncover hidden patterns and correlations. Translate complex economic data into compelling narratives and visualizations, making intricate policy issues accessible and understandable to a broad audience.
- Collaborate with managers on business and product strategy, participate in client meetings and related public policy activities, and pitch new ideas for product features and analysis.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Eligible candidates will have the following qualifications: Master’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Statistics, Data Science, or related fields, plus at least one year of relevant professional experience (or bachelor’s degree with 3+ years of relevant work experience.
- Web data extraction and engineering: Proficiency in Python programing, ability to manipulate, process, and extract value from large unstructured datasets. Experience in web data extraction and automation, proven skills in designing automated tools for the collection and processing of open-source data.
- Database design and management: Experience in mainstream databases. Must be proficient in SQL and possess a solid understanding of database design principles, ensuring efficient management and optimization of data storage and retrieval.
- Data modeling: Expertise in Natural Language Processing (NLP). The ideal candidate should have a proven track record in text classification, Named Entity Recognition (NER), or other NLP techniques.
- Data visualization and dissemination: Familiarity with data visualization software and tools such as Tableau, Streamlit, SiSense, and Dash. Experience with implementing appropriate visualization solutions for various types of stakeholders.
- Language: Near-native proficiency in English writing and speaking, as well as working-level reading proficiency in Chinese, given that a large portion of our data is in Chinese.
- An entrepreneurial mindset demonstrated through the ability to identify and capitalize on new opportunities and a capacity for thinking outside the box.
Location and Travel Requirements
- The preferred location for this role is Paris, France. Candidates must be eligible to work in the EU.
- Occasional domestic or international travel (<5%).
Compensation, Benefits and Recruiting Process
Rhodium Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to fostering an environment that promotes Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
Rhodium Group offers competitive compensation, a progressive benefits package, and opportunities for intellectual and professional advancement while working with a talented and entrepreneurial group of colleagues.
About Rhodium Group
Rhodium Group is an independent research provider combining economic data and policy insight to analyze global trends. Rhodium has decades of experience advising CEOs, portfolio managers, philanthropists and policy leaders. In addition to our stand-alone analyses, we maintain long-standing collaborations with leading think-tanks and universities in the United States, Asia, and Europe. Our work is regularly cited by media and government bodies, and consulted by firms, investors, philanthropic leaders and policymakers worldwide. Key areas of Rhodium expertise include Chinese economic, social and political development, energy and climate change, India’s emergence as a global player, and advanced economy restructuring.