Rhodium Group is recruiting a Hydrologist to extend our coastal storm modeling work and to quantify the risks climate change and sea level rise pose to the world. The position can be based either in Seattle, WA or in our Oakland, CA office.
Rhodium Group is looking for an entrepreneurial and talented hydrologist with advanced modeling and data science skills. You’ll be joining a team of economists, scientists, and analysts at Rhodium Group working on solving problems at the frontiers of climate science and economics. We conduct novel research into quantifying the impacts of climate change as well as developing and supporting the engineering systems behind the Climate Impact Lab, an unprecedented collaboration of experts—economists, climate scientists, and computational scientists—from some of the nation’s leading institutions. We at the Climate Impact Lab aim to revolutionize the way global decision-makers think about the costs and risks of climate change.
- Learn, use, and extend our modeling framework for assessing sea level rise and storm-related coastal flooding and wind risk
- Conduct research on storm-related hazards including extreme rain, surge-related levee failure, and fluvial and pluvial flooding
- Extend our US modeling framework to include global storm and sea level rise
- Communicate risks through publications, visualization, and press engagement
- Coordinate research with academic partners and private-sector clients
- Work with petabyte-scale data in multiple computing environments
- A PhD, or a Master’s with significant research-oriented work (2-5 years) in climate science or hydrology; coastal modeling experience a big plus
- Strong python background; data science tools (pandas, xarray), columnar storage (e.g. parquet, BigQuery), and distributed processing (esp. dask) a plus
- Familiarity with linux terminal; cloud deployment (Docker, kubernetes) a plus
- Strong communication & multi-disciplinary collaboration skills
Compensation, Benefits and Recruiting Process
Rhodium Group offers competitive compensation, a progressive benefit package and opportunities for intellectual and professional advancement, while working with a talented and entrepreneurial group of colleagues. Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line: Hydrologist. Additionally, please indicate your availability for an initial phone interview, salary requirements and available start date.
Rhodium Group is a leading independent research provider. We combine economic data analytics and policy insight to help clients understand global trends. Rhodium has decades of experience advising CEOs, portfolio managers, philanthropists and policy leaders. In addition to our stand-alone analyses, we maintain long-standing collaborations with leading think-tanks and universities in the United States, Asia, and Europe. Our work is regularly cited by media and government bodies, and consulted by firms, investors and policymakers worldwide. Rhodium has offices in New York City, the Bay Area, Paris and Hong Kong.