Research Analyst – US Energy
Rhodium Group is recruiting a Research Analyst to join the company’s US Energy team. The preferred location is Rhodium’s Asheville, North Carolina office.
Rhodium is looking for an entrepreneurial and talented research analyst to join our US Energy team. You will work with Rhodium policy experts, economists, energy modelers and data engineers in tackling some of the most challenging energy and environmental issues facing the US and the world. Rhodium has recently launched new research services, which provide decision-makers in the philanthropic, public and private sectors with timely energy and climate policy and market research and data. As a vital member of this team, you will support Rhodium’s annual national and state energy and GHG emissions forecasts and conduct original research analyzing major energy and climate policy developments at the federal and state level.
- Evaluate existing and/or develop novel analytical approaches for analyzing energy and climate policy and market impacts
- Manipulate and analyze energy and economic data sets using a suite of analytic tools, including excel and python
- Operate RHG-NEMS, a modified version of the Energy Information Administration’s National Energy Modeling System used to produce the Annual Energy Outlook
- Designing data dashboards in Rhodium’s secure customized web portal.
- Write and contribute to Rhodium reports and research notes
- Work across Rhodium teams to identify and develop new energy and emissions data and research projects
- Help communicate research findings to decision-makers and the public
Attractive candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Master’s degree in economics, political science, public policy, engineering, environmental science or related disciplines (or 4+ years of experience working in the energy sector or energy policy).
- Strong understanding of the US energy system and underlying subsectors including electric power, industrial, transportation, buildings and oil & gas.
- Strong mathematics and statistics background and proficiency in manipulating and analyzing large data sets.
- Strong preference for good programming skills, especially in FORTRAN and Python.
- Organized and self-directed with proven problem-solving skills.
- Professionalism and intellectual curiosity.
- Experience with energy system models, such as NEMS, IPM, ReEDS, MARKAL or GCAM a plus.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills or experience with public engagement is a plus.
- Occasional domestic travel (<10%)
Rhodium Group is a leading independent research provider. We combine economic data analytics and policy insight to help decision-makers in both the public and private sectors understand global trends.